Wednesday, August 25, 2010

London Midweek Photo Update 1


The Royal Albert Hall- one of the many monuments to Prince Albert, all within walking distance of our flat!

Greetings from the very quiet resource center here at CAPA!

I've only been here 5 days, but it feels like I've spent much more time here. Since I last blogged, I've officially settled into the flat, got a UK sim card for my phone, and started classes. Also mixed in there was our first UK grocery shopping trip and our first play.

As far as classes go, I've only been to two out of four so far, but I'm quite excited about them. Shakespeare with Dr. Kilfoyle is going to be fantastic. After Capstone, I was a bit burnt out and jaded towards Shakie (as our Theatre professor fondly calls him), but this class is renewing my love for the Bard. We've already started in on Romeo and Juliet and are going to see an all female cast perform in tonight at the Camden Fringe Festival (review to come later). After R&J, we move on to The Tempest (one I haven't read before), then we'll spend time with Puck in Midsummer Night's Dream. After that we got for a history play or two (Henry IV Part 1&2), followed by The Merry Wives of Windsor, Hamlet, and King Lear. Dr. Kilfoyle is trying to convince us that we need to put on a small production of our own in November, as the city seems to be lacking in options for about two weeks, but we're not buying it.

Theatre class started yesterday. Our professor, who asks that we call her Janine (I still find it incredibly weird to call professors by their first names), is quite a character. She is adept at many different dialects and accents, which she demonstrated for us. Over the course of the semester we're going to just about every kind of theatre production she could find in London. The one I'm most excited about is Les Miz!!! (25th anniversary year, in the original theatre!). Last night, we went to see The 39 Steps, a comic play based off of the Hitchcock movie of the same title. Didn't realize it at the time, but the lead actor appeared as Francis in Pillars of the Earth. It was quite funny, made more so by the fact that it was performed by a cast of 4, 3 men and a woman. The theatre we saw it in was pretty cool too. Located right by the Statue of Eros in Leicester Square, it's actually built underground, so instead of climbing up to the nosebleed section, you climb down to the stalls.

The weather here is absolutely fantastic. We've had a bit of rain, but nothing too terrible. I am soooo not missing triple digit heat and humidity. All of me loves living here, except for the blisters on my feet. They're not too happy at the moment, especially since I love walking around. I planned to spend yesterday morning in Hyde Park, but my body decided I needed to sleep until noon instead, so I'm planning an excursion there tomorrow after my 9:15 Writing In The City class.

And now, the pictures I promised. There aren't many as I'm trying to soak up the city rather than experience it through a camera lens.
Monument to Prince Albert that was painted black up until about 20 years ago b/c it had to be protected from WWI/WWII bombings.

Lexie and her awesome Dutch pancake with nutella.


Our small and rather messy room (3 girls in one room makes for interesting mornings)


Our living room/kitchen and my flatmates Hayley and Anna
I promise to try and have more pictures for next week. This Friday we go to Bath and Stonehenge, so I'll undoubtedly have more pictures from those adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment